Gardens flooded with grim sewage waterfall of human waste and sanitary products
Neighbours gardens were flooded with a sewage waterfall of human waste and tampons and sanitary towels.
The effluent affected driveways on a housing estate after a pipe became blocked.
Residents were shocked to see the mess which was caused by a ‘mass of fat’ causing a blockage.
It resulted in sewage seeping into some gardens and driveways in Norton Heights, Stoke-on-Trent with one community leader now calling for the area to be sanitised.
And Severn Trent Water, who were called out to deal with the incident on the weekend, have issued a reminder on what shouldn’t be flushed away or put down the sink.
But neighbours in the area have said they have been faced with a major clean up operation.
Ward councillor Candi Chetwynd was alerted to the incident on Saturday by concerned residents.
She told StokeLive: “Straightaway I contacted Severn Trent to say that the situation must be rectified immediately.
“It’s in an unsanitary condition, which I won’t accept for my residents.”
“People spend a lot of money on their gardens – a lot of time, care and dedication.
“I hope to see the area sanitised for public health reasons.”
Cllr Chetwynd added: “It’s your worst nightmare to have raw sewage running in the streets and the gardens.
“It’s not fair that residents should be left picking up the pieces.”
Jan Rogers, who lives on the estate said: “We have had raw sewage running through the gardens and car park
“It’s been a real mess, no-one wants to take responsibility. It’s contaminated and this is a pollution issue.
“There were sanitary towels and plastic bags in the garden – you name it, it all came through.
A spokesperson for Severn Trent Water said: “On Sunday our teams went out to clear a blockage from a sewer on Burtree Drive.
“When the blockage was cleared it was found to be a mass of fat, which had blocked the sewer and caused it to overflow.
“There has been some flooding from the blocked manhole which made its way into the street and we’re really sorry this has happened.”
The utility firm is advising people to be careful about what they flush – as the pipes are fairly narrow and even small blockages can soon have knock-on effects.
A spokesperson added: “We’d like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that leftover cooking fats should never be washed down the drain, as it can easily stick to unflushables such as wipes and sanitary items leading to blocked sewers.